Tuesday 24 March 2015

Pulpit freedom?

Thomas Oden, in his book Requiem: a lament in three movements, describes a Holy Communion service which he left. It was a service dedicated to Sophia as goddess. When discussing ministerial freedom he has this is add:
The overriding issue has to do with the reifying of the idea of sophia into a goddess acceptable to neopagan feminists who want to remain vaguely within the Christian community, but only on terms unacceptable to the apostolic tradition. (Oden, Requiem, p.150).
This post is not about the acceptability of Sophia worship, or the countless liturgical innovations that one can see. I don't want to get started about the merits of liturgical dance, Christian puppet shows, Clown ministry or U2charist. I want to focus on Oden's last words above. Those "who want to remain vaguely within the Christian community, but only on terms unacceptable to the apostolic tradition." These words come back to be because of the expressly related atheist views of Christian ministers in many denominations, including the United Church of Canada.

As a creedal Christian (explained in a previous post), I am a swirl of emotions regarding such things.

I am angry. Angry that such a thing is possible in the church. Angry that it receives so much attention when it does. But anger doesn't help.

I am frustrated. Frustrated that  the word "Christian" can have so little meaning. Frustrated that my own disapproval of an atheist Christian minister turns me into the intolerant one. Frustrated that my ministerial colleagues start conversations by saying, "Oh, he not that type of United Church minster." Frustrated that my congregation is caught wondering "What's all this about?" But frustration is a never-ending cycle that just leads nowhere.

I am saddened. Saddened that this is the public face of the United Church. Saddened that silence has become the best policy. Saddened that someway, somehow the message of good news has been lost in a maze of post-modern definitions that make God's word meaningless. But we are not called to be people of sadness...


So as someone who holds to the apostolic tradition, I have to be hopeful. I have hope that the good news of Christ's salvific work will remain strong. I have hope that the gospel will be preached. I have hope that the message will increase, not in grand showy ways that draw headlines, but in ways that change lives. Today, I cling to the hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment