Friday 20 March 2015

I used to believe THAT

These days my more personal reading has been spent in the poetry of Robert Southey (1774-1843). He was a Romantic-era poet, friend to Wordsworth and Coleridge. He was British Poet Laureate from 1813 to 1843. While his poetry is not to the level of others in that era, it is a pleasant diversion from the heavier reading I usually do.

I am currently reading his poetic drama, Wat Tyler, completed in 1794. It tells the story of Wat Tyler's 1381 rebellion against King Richard II over the imposition of a poll tax. It was a radical anti-government work, which showed Southey's sympathy for the work of the French Revolution. But Southey's politics change over time. He becomes more conservative, and he is ultimately placed in the court position of Poet Laureate. But the publication of Wat Tyler was used against him in many ways. In fact the play was published surreptitiously in 1817.  His critics were trying to embarrass him. He was accused of betraying his radical roots, or of selling out his ideals for titles and respectability. Southey answered his critics admirably, but could never shake the impression that he was a hypocrite and a sell-out.

While the famous of today often find themselves in the same position as Southey, having to defend themselves for views long forgotten, I ask myself what in my own history would I disavow today. When I read or listen to sermons I have preached, I find myself shaking my head. (I am glad that for an eight year period, no text or recording of my sermons exist. They exist only in the memories of the audience that day.) But I think about how I have changed. My theology has changed. My politics have changed. Am I embarrassed by who I used to be? Sometimes, yes. But always I realize the path of my life has led me here. And will lead me on, probably to more changes in my theology and my politics. And I think I mostly OK with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment