Saturday 21 March 2015

Happy birthday, Bach (Old Style)

I have been reminded this week that today is the birthday of Johann Sebastian Bach (1685-1750). Bach is the quintessential Baroque composer, and to me is the greatest musical mind in the history of the Western world. Many times as I sit and read, or as I prepare my sermons, the music of Bach fills the air of my study.

So much of Bach's music is well known. At this time of year, the strains of his St. Matthew Passion and St. John Passion are heard as we prepare for Good Friday. The beauty of the Mass in B minor is almost unparalleled in music history. I became intrigued with Bach during seminary, while seeing to our school music director's joy at playing Bach's organ works. So I provide a couple of my own favorite pieces of music from the Bach library, which takes up a 155 CD box set in my study.

I begin with a vocal work, the Ascension Oratorio BWV 11. While not having the grand sweep of the Passions, this half-hour work provides a wondrous celebration of what it meant for the disciples that day when Jesus departed. The uncertainty, the hopelessness and the sheer wonder of what is going on echo through the work.


When it comes to Bach's instrumental works, I am a big fan of his masterful cello suites. He produced six of these works for unaccompanied cello. The works are haunting and reach deep into the soul. The sound of a cello is very distinctive, and these pieces are incredible.Here is a link to Pablo Casals playing suite No. 4 in E-flat major. LINK

So today, I will listen to some Bach, and celebrate his wonderful gift to us. Maybe first a cello suite...

No comments:

Post a Comment