Thursday 19 March 2015

Creedal faith

I admit it. I love the creeds. Each Sunday in worship, my congregations repeat together the words of either the Apostles' or Nicene or New Creed of the United Church. I have been doing this for at least 10 years in several different churches. In times past I have added a responsive reading of the Ten Commandments to this as well. I realize it is not a common occurrence in many churches these days. It was certainly not something I was taught in my seminary education. So why do I use the creeds and confessions of faith in worship each Sunday?

1) It connects the congregation to its history. As Vincent of Lerins wrote, "quod ubique, quod semper, quod ab omnibus (everywhere, always, by everyone)." The Apostles and Nicene Creeds have been spoken in churches for centuries, and we can have a connection to churches using these creeds in different languages throughout the world. When we repeat those words, we confess that we belong to more than our own local community. Even reciting the New Creed of the United Church of Canada connects the congregation to the denomination, which at times can be richly needed.

2) It reminds us of the focus of our belief. "We believe in one God." Those opening words of the Nicene God lead us on a journey to discover God's wondrous method of salvation. And in the midst of worship that focus should lead us to understand that this time belongs to God, and the message of his Son.

3) We do it together. This is important because it connects us as a congregation to the beliefs which we share. To hear all voices, young and old speak these historic words is a tribute to the faith that has been passed from generation to generation.

4) The last reason is selfish. It focuses my own preaching. I repeat the words because I believe them. Every single one of them. No fingers crossed, or inaudible whispers. I speak deliberately, so that the words of belief go deep into my heart, and I proclaim the message that God has revealed, not my own pet project.

I hope we can return to the creeds as a church. While they do not, and never can say everything, they are an important building block of our faith together.

Listen to Bach's version of the Nicene Creed in his Mass in B minor (BWV 232)

No comments:

Post a Comment