Wednesday 4 January 2017

Reading in 2016 (part two)

Yesterday I started to list the 16 books that impacted me in 2016. Today I follow with the second half. (Read part one here.)

9. Old Paths, New Power by Daniel Henderson. I received this book after a workshop with Henderson at the Moody Pastors Conference in May. Henderson's focus on Acts 6 as the basis for the church in its mission of prayer spoke volumes to me, and led me into a summer of reading on reveival in the books that follow (#10-13)

10. Lectures on Revivals by William Sprague. This 1832 classic includes a series of letters from famous 19th century church leaders on the subject of revival.

11-12. Pentecost Today? and Revival and Revivalism by Iain Murray. Murray's work on revival puts the focus on where it should be, the action of God and the Holy Spirit. He is scathing in his words about those who turn revival into a recipe to be followed.

13. History of the 1859 Ulster Revival. 7 volumes. I am still reading this history, but the story of how a small prayer group of two people affected a whole nation is awe-inspiring. The set does allow the voices of those who are skeptical of the revival to poke through, but it is for the most part a positive treatment. The stories can get repetitive, I will admit.


 Finally three books on various topics
14. Thoughts on Public Prayer by Samuel Miller. This book was written in 1849. I love to read 19th century books on ministry because of the awesome seriousness with which they take their office and their approach to the throne of God on behalf of a congregation. The book left me humbled in my own approach to public prayer.

15. I'll Praise My Maker by Erik Routley. A book on 18th century hymn writers in the Calvinist tradition, it makes the case that a great poet is not necessarily a great hymn writer. It's long discussion of William Cowper and John Newton are the highlights.

16. The Conservative Mind by Russell Kirk. Although I disagree with some of Kirk's statements about Edmund Burke, this book is a wonderful journey through the voices of English and American conservatism. It has caused me to seek out and read other volumes in the upcoming year by W.E.H. Lecky, Henry Sumner Maine and Irving Babbitt.

No comments:

Post a Comment