Tuesday 5 May 2015

Cruxifusion 2015: Rest

It has been about a week since I attended Cruxifusion's annual conference at Wellington Square United Church in Burlington, Ontario. It was a time to re-connect with friends and colleagues from across the country. I have been trying to process some of my thoughts about the conference, and will do so over the next few days using the conference theme: Rest, Reconcile, Revive.

REST

As our closing preacher said, "I needed this." This time together. This time of worship and rejuvenation. This time of safety and friendship. This time of rest.

Being a pastor is a lonely profession. I do not say that to garner pity. I knew this before answering God's call to ministry. And I have been blessed with the ministerial prayer group in Hartland that I meet with each week. But even with that, I still feel isolation. Partly it could be my introvert personality, partly it is the nature of the job to be "on" all the time.

At Cruxifusion 2015, the masks fell away. I did not have to play a role. I could worship and sing. I could be fed, as well as feed. I could laugh and cry without self-awareness. I could be the object of my friends' jokes.

The Bible gives us an example of rest. God places it right in the fabric of creation with his Sabbath day. Pastors so rarely find an opportunity for true rest. At the conference, outside forces can intrude, but the fellowship of our time together is very powerful. We lift each other up, pray for each other, know the struggles and victories of ministry.

I do not have very many friends. I count these blessed Cruxers, who I see but once a year, as some of my dearest friends in the faith.

I needed that!

No comments:

Post a Comment